To all my American followers, have a happy Independence Day and enjoy the fireworks! While you're celebrating, enjoy these fun facts about the United States National Day most patriotic day of the year.
- The biggest Blockbuster movies of the year open on Independence Day weekend. This year it's Transformers 3. Past notable mentions go to Independence Day, Spiderman 2, War of the Worlds, Men in Black I & II, Hancock, Terminator 3 and Twilight Eclipse.
- Independence Day celebrates Americas Independence from Britain. The Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776.
- The Term 'Sign Your John Hancock' comes from an actual guy named John Hancock. He's the president of the Continental Congress and one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
- Last year, the United States imported nearly $200 million worth of fireworks.
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the national bird to be a Turkey. He said the bald eagle is a bird of bad moral character, the turkey is a more respectable bird.
- Tom Cruise starred in the movie Born on the Fourth of July that really has nothing to do with Independence Day, but the title works for this post.
- The First week of July is typically the busiest travel week of the year in the United States.
- Ironically, on July 4, 1946, the Treaty of Manila was signed in the Philippines giving them independence from the United States.
- Two Presidents Died on July 4, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams (July 4, 1826) and James Monroe (July 4, 1831) while President Calvin Coolidge was born on July 4, 1872, putting him forever into the history books.
- The favourite food for the 4th of July is the Hot Dog.
That's all folks. Hope you learned something about Independence Day today and enjoy your holiday everyone =]